Monday, April 18, 2011

Performance Of SharePoint List Access Methods

As you might have experience throughout your SharePoint development, there are several methods available in SharePoint API to access the data from SharePoint lists. I wanted to measure the performance of each method available in SharePoint. In the following experiment, I have excluded SharePoint LINQ query. I’ll accommodate that with some other interesting metrics in my future post.

I have executed the following four different queries five time each on the same list in a particular sub-site. Number of executed time and the time taken to execute the query is depicted in the X axis and Y axis respectively.
Though I have played with all the available methods, certain situation may restrict you from using some of the optimized method. In case of if you are about to write an exe/console application, you can’t use PortalSiteMapProvider API.



Conculsion : Good Bye to SPQuery…!! Welcome to SPSiteDataQuery…!! Stay with me PortalSiteMapProvider…!!

P.S: The above data is extracted from Developer Dashboard, by enabling the SPMonitoredScope for each access mechanism.
SharePoint List Access Methods, SharePoint List Access Mechanism, SharePoint List Access, GetSiteData, SPSiteDataQuery

No comments:

Post a Comment